Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Adina's bad sleep:

I am in Americorps NCCC. It is November 2002 and it is freaking cold. It is 11 PM and we arrive in the community housing development where we will be living for the next few weeks. There is no heat. Half of the lights are missing bulbs, including the bathroom light. There is no shower curtain (which is unfortunate because we have to be up and ready for work at 7 AM the next day). Everything smells like pee. There are cockroaches in the tub and in most of the rooms (seemingly dead but we couldn't really tell because there was no light). We are supposed to have cots waiting for us, but there are no cots. I end up sleeping on the cold pee floor in between MK and Michelle because I am only one without a real sleeping bag. In the middle of the night, I decide I am going to die of hypothermia if I don't somehow warm up. I then remember grabbing a bunch of leftover thermopads from the Red Cross while on disaster relief. I cover my entire body with thermopads and finally fall asleep for I think two hours before having to get up and dig dirt for 8 hours. To this day, I am pretty sure those thermopads saved my life.

No comments: